A Quick Note on Installing Old Ports

So, I recently discovered that something is wrong with Inkscape 0.91 available from MacPorts. When I attempt to convert a SVG to PDF+LaTeX, it doesn’t work. At first blush, it appears like a macro is not properly closed with a } character; however, I have not had a chance to create a minimum working example to reproduce this behavior. The problem is I need this to work for my dissertation. Trying the development port didn’t help because the lualatex was claiming that a page was missing.

After a Google search, I found these instructions which failed because port was claiming that it could not find the patches. To work around this, I went to the repository and went back to the revision with the patches. After downloading them and placing them in the files directory next to the Portfile, I was able to get a copy of Inkscape that worked for what I need. The trick was to manually download the files port wanted.

Now to see if I can hunt down what the problem is and get it fixed…

Written on March 24, 2015