Here are notes on some of my discoveries while working on a plugin for GCC.read more
Some working notes on getting a unified terminal experience on Windows. The ultimate problem is every tool set for Windows wants to install a complete GNU environment and doesn’t bother checking if you already have one installed. The ultimate kicker is: you basically can’t do it.read more
Some notes on how to get indirect rendering working with X forwarding on an ssh connection.read more
This is just a quick note to myself so I can delete it from my desktop. After installing the X server from Cygwin, the server can be launched using
$ XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-err
to let Windows handle the windowing. To launch X at log in, use
/bin/run. This boils down to creating a shortcut and setting the
C:\Programs\CygWin\bin\run.exe XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
Then, place the short cut in the start up directory.read more
At some point during the process of working through my dissertation, I got so bogged down in the process of doing the work, I forgot a bit why I was so intrigued when I started. I was going through the motions, but not really finding the fun of physics. Sure, programming is fun in and of itself, but I was missing the physics. So, now that I have free time to pursue a hobby, I want to go back and remind myself why I started down this path.read more
This is simply a note to myself so I can quit googling how to do this. From this answer on Stack Overflow, to set a break point in a PyQt4 application insert
import pdb, PyQt4 PyQt4.QtCore.pyqtRemoveInputHook() pdb.set_trace()
I originally started this as a wiki page on my fork of ViTables. After trying to understand why ViTables would crash on some Windows boxes but not others, I found out that it had nothing to do with ViTables. So, I’ll just put it here. These are primarily the notes I wrote while digging into the problem.
tl;dr: Your Python installation on Windows is stupid and needs to be reinstalled.read more
So, today I log into one of my RHEL6 machines and notice that
there are some updates to apply.
After finishing my thesis work, I wanted to grab the revision history for both the software I developed and the writing of my dissertation. It was (is?) stored in a subversion server owned by the lab; however, I want all of that for my own purposes.read more
So, I recently discovered that something is wrong with Inkscape 0.91
available from MacPorts. When I attempt to convert a SVG to PDF+LaTeX,
it doesn’t work. At first blush, it appears like a macro is not
properly closed with a
} character; however, I have not had a chance
to create a minimum working example to reproduce this behavior. The
problem is I need this to work for my dissertation. Trying the
development port didn’t help because the
lualatex was claiming that
a page was missing.
A few weeks ago, the wife’s Samsung Galaxy S2 took the final plunge and
bit the dust (mostly). It wound up caught in a cycle of powering on and
off. Luckily, I was able to fiddle with it enough to grab the
settings.lua files from her Angry Birds games
using a little script I wrote some time back.
This note is more for myself than for anyone else. I have derived the expression for the least squares fitting so many times it’s not funny. The problem is, once I cobble together the routine to perform the fitting, I completely forget how to do it again. I hope, this will prevent me from having to do it ever again if only because it is on my website.read more
So, I have been writing with plain text files for a while. I’ve plaid around with HTML and LaTeX extensively. Once I discovered the joys of vim, I slowly began to do all of my editing within a terminal emulator. Initially, I worked directly with the before mentioned markup languages. Recently, I learned about pandoc and that let me give up on HTML by using Markdown, but I still wrote my scientific papers directly with LaTeX. Now I think it is time to make the full switch.read more
This is just a sample test to try to get Jekyll running. It follows Barry Clark’s walk through. A few additional gotchas I came across:
- HTML files are passed directly to the server and are not processed.
This means that you cannot embed liquid tags in a HTML file that
already has the
- Don’t forget the
permalinktag in the header for top level files. This should have been obvious, but I overlooked it while moving files around.
titletag is set as an
h1in the output so don’t use another title (# title). It just looks silly.
I’m sure I will come across additional points as I move forward. I’ll probably try to update this post with additional comments in the future. But for now, time to start writing!
To be read in the voice of Kermit (or your favorite Muppet)read more